Wednesday 25 August 2010

Page One







Here goes with another Blogspot blog which nobody will read.

I've had a lifelong fascination with stationery but particularly with pens and pencils. I have long used a fountain pen for taking notes at work and at home, but recently I re-discovered the joys of using a pencil. I have been trying a few out of late: various Staedtler pencils, including the Noris, tradition and Lumograph ranges; and a couple of Tombow Mono 100s. I am interested in various writers' working habits. Japanese pens and pencils also interest me greatly.

It was about three years ago that I became actively interested in pens. After years of using a keyboard and mouse my handwriting had suffered and as I abhor ballpoint pens, I bought a fountain pen as I had used one for writing in my professional examinations because I tend to press too hard into the paper when I use a biro. Like many who have been educated at university, I have a callous on the middle finger on my writing hand from writing so many essays and exams with a Bic Cristal.

Let me be clear: I am not a collector of anything, but like many people I have a collection of pens and pencils acquired over the years.

My main pen is a Pilot M90. This is the best pen I have ever used. I also own various other Pilots, and a couple of Lamy Safaris. Here in the UK, Parker is synonymous with fountain pens, but I've never really liked them much even though I used one at school (or perhaps, because I used one at school). I do use blue Parker Quink, having spent a lot of money on other brands. More on that some other time.

As for pencils, I have one true mechanical pencil, a Pentel P205 which I bought in 1994 for a course. I have a couple of clutch pencils: a Staedtler Mars 788 which had a blunt lead when I found it, and a Woerther Shorty which I use for sketching but which is also useful for other tasks like shopping lists. Recently I have gone back to buying and using woodcased pencils, and I adore Staedtler pencils. The most commonly-available Staedtler range in the UK is probably the tradition which can be purchased in most stationers'. Noris pencils are often found in supermarkets. Lumographs appear to be rare as hens' teeth though, and I had to buy mine online and not in a brick-and-mortar shop.

That is it for now, I think. Apologies for the appalling pun in the title; I daresay I'll regret it eventually.

3 comments:

  1. All the best wishes for your blog. I am looking forward to reading more of your posts here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that, Matthias. I have enjoyed your blog and I hope I can reach your high standards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kinda liked the pun. But then apparently I walk upsaide down on my head too.

    ReplyDelete